The Foundation for Education Development
The FED is dedicated to promoting a long-term vision and plan for education in England. In the spirit of partnership, we provide an independent and neutral space for policy influencers from education, business, politics and beyond to shape the future
- We would like to see a long-term plan for education in England which ensures every learner, no matter their background, receives the best possible education at every stage of their educational journey.
- We would like the foundations of our education system to be built on a cross sector approach which delivers for children, young people, and lifelong learners for the future prosperity of our country.
Is based upon the following principles…
- Education has a vitally important part to play in a future Britain that is confident, optimistic, and prosperous.
- A cross-sector approach to developing and implementing education policy is the bedrock that will help shape our education system and practice.
- Education policy should serve the long-term interests of our country and learners – it should be long-term, predicated on evidence and have cross-sector and cross-party buy in.
FED National Consultation Report and National Education Summit.
Our FED National Education Summit took place in March 2021. Over four days the widest range of influential contributors addressed issues surrounding the future of education in this country
Our National Education Consultation Report with data captured from our FED Summit and our FED events over the past 12 14 months was published on 26th April 2021. The report provides a qualitative review of the next steps that need to be taken to produce a strong foundational base for our education system, so that over the next decade it can go from ‘good to great’ for our children, young people, and life-long learners. It also outlines the work of the FED over the next year to support this journey.
Who are the Foundation for Education Development?
The FED provides an independent and neutral space for discussion and debate so that the long-term challenges we face can find long term solutions.
Our board of trustees, extensive advisory council, national ambassadors’ group and stakeholder councils are made up of individuals and organisations who support our work to promote a long-term vision and plan for education in this country.
FedSpace is a neutral space for ongoing discussion and continuing debate about the need for a long-term plan for education. Many thousands of individuals and organisations from all sectors – Education (Schools, FE and HE), business, public sector and not for profit organisations have attended FEDSpace events and engaged in our national consultation.
You can find information on our past events as well as details of all of our forthcoming events and round table discussions by following the link below
You will also find information and resources related to our plans for FED150 – the celebrations of 150 years of universal state education.
We believe our objective to achieve a long-term vision and plan for education in this country is a realistic one, but it is also ambitious. We are clear that we couldn’t achieve this aim without the help and guidance from our current supporters, partners and sponsors. Their commitment to the project is greatly appreciated by all of our trustees and Council members and we thank them for their valuable contribution.
We continue to seek partnerships and support to maintain our work, and to develop relationships with a range of organisations who wish to join with us.
At the FED we value the contribution of all those working in education, and their role in building a world class education system across the country.
We welcome the opportunity of the 150th anniversary of state education to:
• Celebrate the achievements of schools today
• Reflect on the history of state education
• Envision a long-term vision and plan for our education system
The FED will be convening activities across the country in the academic year 2020-2021 to mark this anniversary as well as engaging our communities in creating the vision and plan for education in the future – ‘Looking Back – Moving Forward’
How can you
We hope you will support us in this endeavour:
- By joining one of our round table discussions
- By giving us your views on our five starting points
- By getting involved in our 150-year celebrations
- By helping to promote the vision and mission of the FED
- By signing up for our weekly newsletter
- By amplifying the work of the FED as a supporter, partner or sponsor